Healthy Keto Habits: Adding Coconut Oil To Your Morning Coffee
Coconut oil is one of the best natural sources of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs)- a group of fatty acids that have several health benefits.
Coconut oil is routinely set aside in preference to C8 oil in salads, smoothies, and coffee owing to its unpleasant odor. Yet, it is a more cost effective and easily available option if you want to start a keto lifestyle right away.
A fresh, hot cup of coffee in the morning is how many people start their day.
The caffeine in coffee gives you the much needed boost of energy in the morning to start your day. Coffee also contains beneficial antioxidants and nutrients.
Adding coconut oil to coffee may give you the added advantage of a healthy dose of MCTs.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of adding coconut oil to your coffee.
Ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that has become extremely popular in the recent years.
It has been said that adding coconut oil to coffee is an effective way for the body to maintain ketosis- a metabolic state where the body uses ketones (molecules produced from fat breakdown) as fuel instead of glucose.
Maintaining ketosis has been linked to a number of health benefits, such as, weight loss, improved blood sugar control, reduced heart disease risk factors.
Coconut oil consists of fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), that are rapidly absorbed and delivered to the liver, compared to other fats. They are either used as a source of energy or converted into ketone bodies.
MCT oils are easily converted to ketones compared to long-chain triglycerides- another type of fat found in foods.
Coconut oil contains 4 types of MCTs and the MCT lauric acid produces 50% of the fat.
Lauric acid is metabolized more steadily than other MCTs, which results in the acid making ketones at a slower, but more sustained rate.
What Are The Health Benefits?
There are many health benefits of adding coconut oil to coffee.
- It may speed up metabolism- The MCTs in coconut oil and caffeine in coffee may speed up metabolism which increases the number of calories burnt in a day.
- It may improve energy levels- MCTs are transported to the liver directly and become a quick source of energy, and caffeine from the coffee helps the body feel more energised.
- It may help in regular bowel movement- Compounds in coffee like caffeine and chlorogenic acids and the MCTs from coconut oil may help stimulate bowels and keep the digestive system healthy.
- It may help raise good cholesterol- Studies have shown that coconut oil can increase levels of HDL (good) cholesterol, which prevents heart disease.
How To Use Coconut Oil In Your Daily Coffee?
- Starting out, it is recommended to add 1 tablespoon (14 grams) to hot coffee and stir until oil incorporates well.
- Some people also blend the oil along with the coffee in a blender, making it a delicious tropical-styled beverage.
- In due course, another tablespoon can be added (28 grams). This is appropriate for those who want to maintain ketosis.
- People should be aware of the consequences of adding too much coconut oil too quickly, especially while following a low to moderate-fat diet, as it may cause nausea and laxative-like symptoms.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in coffee is more than enough to reap maximum benefits of the fat.